Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Failing of projects day semi-finals

It was already expected as we made minimal progress during the holidays due to the organization having their own programmes and even when school reopened when our timeslots clashed with curriculum. Our presentation was also not as appealing as that of other groups with photo montage/pictures of them working with the organization and their progress. We truly paled in comparison to them and that was probably the deciding factor of our failure to get through. So what happens if I fail to get through…

If it were last year, I wouldn’t really care whether or not I pass the semis. Reason being that projects day was not a component of our grades then. But now, 50% marks of our IS (independent studies) grade is derived from projects day and failing the semis mean losing 35 marks straight. According to what I know, the criteria to gain entry into special programmes (CSE) are a minimum grade of A2 or A1 for IS. However, this instant loss of 35 marks would land me in a B3 grade for IS, hence depriving me of the opportunity to enter CSE. How is this fair? My grades are ok yet this bloody projects day may well ruin my chance…

In fact, I find that projects day should never had been made a part of our grades due to the fact that not everyone is able to squeeze out the time to dedicate it to working out a perfect, awe-inspiring and striking project, especially in Service Learning. Maybe time management and lack of co-operation was our main problem but still, our opportunities for special programmes should not be limited or determined by a project. But still surprisingly enough, more than ¾ of the class failed the semis. And I believe that there are very few groups who managed to make it through. I do wonder if this is the way the school uses to cut down on the number of students vying for the CSE programmes. If it is so, I got to admit that I have come to the wrong school. Last year was fine, this year it’s a horror.

================================================================================================
This is just a rant of mine to get the frustration out of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment