Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Balancing of CCA and homework

My CCA: Track and Field – Long Jump

Track and Field is a rather demanding CCA (theres training even during home-learning and on "half days") as it’s extremely competitive and require a lot of commitment from the members. Besides the major Nationals there are several mini competitions as well such that the coach can select the 3 to join Nationals.

My recent long jump competitions

After joining track and field (long jump) since April last year, I have not joined any competitions till this year. In fact, I have yet to join any competition whereby I represent the school along with my teammates throughout my life. The recent all-comers at Bukit Gombak Stadium was my first experience at any external competition be it sports or academics. Initially I was really nervous afraid that I wouldn’t do well and end up disgracing myself but after several trial jumps I was quite confident I would not do too badly. On my first jump, I surprisingly jumped a distance between 5 and 5.2m, never had I jumped so far during my trainings. The feeling was great and this continued for the next two jumps.

Several weeks later I joined the 2nd all-comers. This time my aim was zone 2 (5.2-5.4m), however, I ended up over boarding all three jumps… either the distance for the run up was wrong or I was slower than normal.

I knew that I had to train harder, however, for me to “want to” train harder especially when the Nationals are approaching; I would need less homework. Training while a stack of homework awaits me when I get home is unpleasant; it seems like a burden and I wouldn’t have the mood to train properly. Yet there’s nothing I can do. Homework will always be a part of schooling life.


Homework

Due to the fact that HCI is a top-notch school, the amount of homework given is generally more than that of most schools as students are probably required do more practice. In my opinion, homework is a chore for someone like me who has CCA commitment daily. However, I can only attempt to balance CCA and homework. Staying up till 11 or 12 is now common for me to finish off homework. If only there would be less homework, sometimes I even have to skip CCA just to do homework. I hate homework…

No comments:

Post a Comment