Sunday, May 2, 2010

ACE and OC system

In 2009 they were hopeful components in every subject that could pull up marks. Because of the ACE and OP system then, I managed to obtain 1.0 for my MSG. But now in 2010, they are a new subject that affects our overall score and eligibility to enter the many special programmes. Few have voiced out their opinions only until the recent Level Assembly did I realize I was not the only one who have negative views of this new system as not only did it affect scores, it also affected our way of thinking. Thus, I would like to express my opinions of this new system (hope I won’t get screwed for doing this).

Oral Participation system, currently known as Oral Communication


It is good for urging students to speak up in class to express themselves BUT what if some students are shy or want to keep to themselves? What if some students want to speak up but are ‘ksed’ by over-enthusiastic students (There’s one in class)? In this case it is not fair. Students who are shy and have introverted personalities (like myself, except the shy part) are being forced to speak up, this is against their personalities and they will not feel comfortable in a school where speaking up is graded. It is also extremely unfair for students who get ‘ksed’ because they do not get the chance to voice their opinions as some others will simply snatch their chance. As a result, they may lose out in terms of oral participation scores which ultimately affects their grade. Be it students who are introverted or students who get’ ksed’, they may not be eligible for many special programmes even if they are good academically as OC grade is put into account (I am afraid I may be one of them, I almost failed my OP last term). Wouldn’t that be unfair? Students who are keen to study and learn yet are not given the chance to join the better special programmes because of their personality. Current Affairs discussions are also part of the OC grade and classmates are the ones who grade the participants. The grades given may be biased and would be unfair for many. Although there is a teacher who is involved in grading, the mark given by students will ultimately affect the overall score. Therefore, I really dislike this system.

ACE system, currently known as Independent Studies

It encourages students to take on additional tasks and join competitions BUT it causes students to become very calculative (as pointed out in the recent Level Assembly).” Is there ACE? No ACE? Ok never mind.” Before taking on any additional tasks, the first thing most students will want to find out is if there is ACE for completing them. If no ACE can be obtained, majority will not take on that task. It makes students give up on many opportunities just because there is no ACE to obtain. True enough, I myself won’t do anything extra if I won’t get ACE for it. Now instead of encouraging students to go the extra mile, it instills the over-calculative mind in them which is obviously not a good thing. Projects Competition which was previously only compulsory for Sec 1 and Sec 2 is now a component of this IS system. Getting into the Finals is a MUST if one wants to get a minimum of A1 for their IS grade as it’ is near impossible to max out ACE points for the various subjects. Something that has once been a platform to enjoy and experience has now transformed into a compulsory, dreaded event. Once again, IS is another criteria to ace in order to join the special programmes. Even in the upper secondary levels we still have to take part and attempt to enter the finals for projects competition otherwise GG…

I would recommend IS and OC not be included in our overall grade or be a component to ace for eligibility to join special programmes but instead be something extra for students who have the desire to take part in them and not a compulsory for students who have no wish to do so. All in all these are only my opinions but I believe I am not the only one who feels this way. I do believe there is a majority like me who has other opinions of this system which is supposed to help students but apparently it is unable to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment